We call it fast food but we all eat it. And Wendy’s is one of our favorites.
Wendy’s is known for its square ground beef hamburgers and the Frosty, a form of soft serve ice cream.
The idea for Wendy’s Old Fashioned hamburgers was actually inspired by Dave Thomas’s trips to Kewpee Hamburgers in his home town of Kalamazoo, Michigan. The Kewpee sold square hamburgers and thick malt shakes, much like the famous restaurant that Thomas eventually founded in Columbus, Ohio, in 1969. Thomas named the restaurant after his fourth child Melinda Lou “Wendy” Thomas.
And today they even serve nutritional meals for the diet conscious. Like Ultimate Chicken Grill with a Side Salad. Junior Hamburger Deluxe without mayonnaise with a Side Salad and fat-free dressing. Large Chili with a Side Salad and fat-free dressing. Plain Baked Potato and a small Chili…
>>> So if you want to prepare a delicious meal to impress family, friends or even a hot date – maybe someone you met on a romantic dating site – here are Wendy’s most popular recipes of all…
–Wendy’s Chicken Caesar Fresh Stuffed Pita–
4 pita breads
4 teaspoons shredded, fresh parmesan
1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon dry, unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon finely minced red bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons egg substitute
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup carrot, shredded
1. Make the dressing by first dissolving the gelatin in the water. Heat the mixture in the microwave on high for two minutes or until it begins to rapidly boil. Add the vinegar, then whisk while adding the oil. Add bell pepper, salt, garlic powder, worcestershire, black pepper, parsley, oregano, thyme and basil.
2. Let dressing cool for about 15 minutes before adding cheeses and egg substitute. Whisk until slightly thicker, then chill. Overnight refrigeration makes the dressing thicker. Preheat a barbecue or indoor grill to medium heat. Salt and pepper the chicken, then grill it for 5 minutes per side, or until done.
3.Remove chicken from the grill and dice it. While chicken cooks, prepare the salad by combining the romaine lettuce, red cabbage and shredded carrot in a large bowl and toss.
4. Prepare the sandwiches by first microwaving each pita for 20 seconds. Fold each pita in half like a taco, then add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the romaine salad into the bread. Add about 1/3 cup of diced chicken on top of the salad in the pita.
Pour about a tablespoon of dressing over each sandwich. Sprinkle about a teaspoon of shredded fresh parmesan on top of each one and serve.
–Wendy’s Old Fashioned Burger–
1 Sesame-seed hamburger bun
1/4 Pound Ground beef
1 d Salt
3 Dill pickle slices
1 Teaspoon Catsup
3 White onion ring slices
2 Tomato slices
1/4 Cup Chopped iceburg lettuce
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1. Using waxed paper, form the 1/4 pound of beef into a 4-inch square patty. Refrigerate until you’re ready to cook.
2. Preheat a barbecue grill on high. Toast both halves of the bun, face down, in a hot skillet. 3. Lightly salt the hamburger patty and cook on the barbecue grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Build the burger in the following stacking order from the bottom up: bottom bun, hamburger patty, pickles, catsup, onion rings, tomatoes, lettuce, mayonnaise, top bun.
Details: If you’d like the classic Wendy’s double, cook two patties, and dress the bun the same. If adding cheese, use only real American cheese and place it on top of the dressed bun prior to adding the cooked beef. Double cheese? Do the same.
For Wendy’s classic bacon cheese burger, cook the burger and dress the bun as directed above. For the bacon, use Oscar-Mayer Ready-Made pre-cooked bacon. Simply microwave 2 slices for about 30 seconds, and add to your burger between the cheese and the beef patty.
–Wendy’s Original Frosty–
The Frosty was invented at Wendy’s owner Dave Thomas’ request by dairyman E.M. “Bill” Barker. The actual flavor of the original Frosty is a mixture of chocolate and vanilla. You can add M&M’s, Butterfinger Chips or Oreo Chips – whatever you desire.
1 cup Milk
1/2 Cup Nestle Quick
3 Cups Vanilla ice Cream
Put all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth…
1 pound ground chuck
1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes (liquid included)
1 15-ounce can of red kidney beans (liquid drained)
1 15-ounce can of pinto beans (liquid drained)
1 8-ounce can Hunt’s tomato sauce
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1 4-ounce can diced green chilies (with liquid)
2 Tablespoons chopped celery
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup water
1. Brown the ground chuck over medium heat, breaking into small pieces with the spatula. Add a dash of salt and pepper while cooking.
2. Empty the cooked meat into a spaghetti strainer, and rinse well under very hot water. This removes the bulk of the fat.
3. Transfer the beef into a dutch oven, and add the remaining ingredients. Stir together to combine thoroughly.
4. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Reduce the burner to low, and continue simmering 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
–Wendy’s Garden Sensation Mandarin Chicken Salad–
>> Sesame Dressing:
1/2 cup corn syrup
3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
4 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar 1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 dash garlic powder
1 dash ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
>>Mandarin Chicken Salad:
4 chicken breast fillets
1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
4 cups red leaf lettuce, chopped
1 1/3 cups canned mandarin orange segments
1 cup rice noodles
1 cup roasted sliced almond.
Prepare dressing by combining all dressing ingredients except vegetable oil and sesame seeds in a blender on high speed. Slowly add oil to mixture, to create an emulsion.
Add sesame seeds and blend for just a couple seconds. Pour dressing into a covered container (such as a dressing cruet)and chill until needed. (1 1/2 CUPS DRESSING) Rub each chicken breast fillet with oil, then lightly salt and pepper each piece.
Grill on medium/high heat until done. Chill chicken breasts in refrigerator. When chicken is cold, build each salad by first arranging about 4 cups of iceberg lettuce in the bottom of a large salad bowl or on a plate. Arrange a cup of red leaf lettuce on the iceberg lettuce.
Dice each chicken breast into bite- size pieces and sprinkle the pieces from each one over each salad. Arrange about 1/3 cup of mandarin orange wedges on each salad. Next, sprinkle about 1/4 cup of rice noodles and 1/4 cup of roasted sliced almonds on top of each salad. Add desired amount of sesame dressing and serve.
Dig In and Enjoy!
A Graduate of the Holland College Culinary Course, Brian Alan Burhoe has cooked in Atlantic Coast restaurants for over 30 years. He is a member of the Canadian Culinary Federation. Brian’s articles reflect his interests in food service, dreamstudy, imaginative literature and our best friends — our dogs.
His Home Page is A CULINARY MYSTERY TOUR – A Literary Chef. His articles have been reprinted on numerous culinary websites and various Blogs, including the popular Romantic Relationship site WUVING.com.
Other Popular items on theWendy’s Restaurant Menu:
Honey BBQ Boneless Wings – Tender, juicy chicken breast, hand-tossed in a honey barbeque sauce made with real amber honey.
Homestyle Chicken Fillet – Wendy’s signature chicken fillet. Specially seasoned, lightly breaded and topped with mayonnaise.
Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Go Wrap – Their chicken fillet made with a fiery blend of peppers and spices. Plus crisp lettuce, cheddar cheese and a zesty ranch sauce all wrapped in a flour tortilla.
Wendy’s Chicken Club – Crisp strips of Applewood smoked bacon, sliced natural Swiss cheese and fresh toppings join a whole breast fillet for one tender, tasty sandwich. Available lightly breaded or grilled.
Sour Cream and Chives Baked Potato – Slow-baked in an oven, not zapped in a microwave. Sour Cream and Chives Baked Potato is their most popular, but they also have baked potatoes served with broccoli & cheese or bacon & cheese.